Passed at an Emergency General Meeting today, the following motion will go to UCU Scotland Congress on Friday.
This branch notes:
- That the evidence base for the proposed cuts to USS has been widely discredited and has been rejected by a majority of University leaders;
- The strength of the opposition to the proposed settlement (12/3/2018) across the UK.
This branch believes that it is illogical as well as detrimental to members to pursue changes to USS in the absence of a credible evidence base.
This branch calls on UCU Scotland to:
- Support branches in working with students and mobilising for escalation of the dispute, including further strike action;
- Work with national leadership to demand retention of the USS status quo pending a further valuation in which members can have confidence;
- Work with MSPs to use their influence with university leaders to bring UUK back to the negotiating table; and,
- Seek out and pursue fund-raising opportunities to support the Fighting Fund/local hardship funds