Get Involved

Want to become more active in UCU, but don’t really know how, or in what capacity? There are plenty of ways, ranging from helping out occasionally during industrial action, or being a local contact and putting up posters, to being a rep, caseworker, committee member or officer for UCU Edinburgh or even working on a national level. Email us at if you want to get involved. The union is made up of its members – you!

Below are descriptions of different roles within UCU Edinburgh:

Local contact If you don’t have much time, you may want to become a local contact. This will not require much work, but involves mostly being the face of the union in your department/school/area (although you can also be anonymous if you wish) and distributing leaflets or posters now and then.

Rep Being a rep means representing your colleagues in different ways, for example on the UCU Edinburgh committee or as a caseworker. This can mean both as a rep for a specific department or school, or for a specific group of members such as postgraduate students.

Caseworker Casework means helping out other members with their queries and problems. It is very rewarding work and you can choose yourself how much work you take on. For new caseworkers we will arrange an older caseworker mentor to help you in your new role, and ideally you should attend one of the UCU Scotland courses on being a rep.

Committee member If you want to become more involved in how the university functions, join the UCU Edinburgh committee, either as an officer, rep, or ordinary committee member.

For information on other roles, including those of officer or work on a national level in UCU Scotland or UCU UK, do contact us at