The following motion was approved at the UCU Edinburgh EGM on 28th April 2016.
UCU Edinburgh notes that the recent request for all academic staff to complete attendance monitoring:
1) represents a change to contracts without consultation;
2) is prompted by the toxic spread of mistrust of non-EU citizens; and,
3) is wholly unacceptable to staff as a matter of principle.
UCU Edinburgh calls on University of Edinburgh management to:
1) clarify the exact requirements of the relevant legislation;
2) implement the minimum possible attendance monitoring for staff on Tier 2 and Tier 5 visas; and,
3) make the strongest possible representations to UKVI regarding the extension of surveillance requirements in the workplace, and let staff know that they have done so.
The motion is being sent to Zoe Lewandowski, Director, Human Resources, requesting a University response.
We would like to continue to hear from any member of UCU who has a view on the University’s ‘attendance monitoring policy’. We will also keep you informed of any response from University senior management.